How do balloons float?
Let us talk in a layman’s language. The basic rule to floating is that when a lighter gas is dispersed in the heavier gas, the lighter one will float over it. Likewise, we live in a gas called Air. Our surrounding is filled with air.
When anything like a balloon is filled with a gas that is lighter than the air regarding its density, then the balloon will float. Now it is known that the density of hydrogen and helium gas is lighter than that of air. So, if a balloon is filled with any of these gases, the balloon will float. Since we are talking about floating balloons without helium, we would consider Hydrogen gas here to fill the balloon.
How to make a floating balloon without helium gas?
- Because Helium is lighter than air, but it is not the only gas we can fill the balloon, we may use hydrogen gas as well. The density of hydrogen gas is 1/2th of the mass of helium gas so we can consider it to make a floating balloon.
- Air can also be used to fill the balloon. Here we will use a different concept. Inside and outside air are both similarly charged so like charges will repel each other and get attracted to a surface that has no charge. It can be the ceiling of your room where the balloon will float.
- Another way to create a floating balloon is to fill the air inside the balloon using your mouth and let it float over the surface of the water. Have you ever visited a swimming pool and thrown an air-filled ball inside it? It will automatically come up because air is lighter regarding density than water, so the ball filled with air inside it will come to the surface of the water. This is another way to make a floating balloon that doesn’t use Helium balloon.
How to make a FLOATING BALLOON without helium
Well, to use hydrogen to fill the balloon, you need to create this Hydrogen gas first. It can be done by taking sodium hydroxide and bringing it in contact with the aluminum.
- Sodium hydroxide is readily available at home. You may get it from nearby grocery stores as well.
- Aluminum is readily available from kitchen foils.
Now is the time to create a hydrogen gas.
- Take a bottle and fill it the mixture of Sodium hydroxide and aluminum.
- Add water inside the bottle.
- Now its time to attach a balloon to the top of this bottle containing the mixture that we just mentioned here.
- The mixture inside the container will automatically generate hydrogen gas. This gas will inflate the balloon.
- Once completed, you can take off the balloon and tie it with a thread.
- Now you can see the balloon will float without helium gas.
Hydrogen gas is flammable in nature. So make sure you keep all the spark producing things away like a match box, open flames, any hot iron, and other hot objects.Sodium hydroxide may harm your skin, so it is advised to keep it away from children.