Helium balloons are used widely for party décor and are known to be relatively safe if stored and handled with care. Though helium may seem harmless, inhaling helium accidently can turn dangerous with serious lung injury or even death. The helium balloon gas safety is of concern also when handling heavy, highly pressurised cylinders that contain helium.
Helium balloons are generally used for children’s parties or celebratory occasions such as weddings and festive ceremonies. A burst of helium balloons at such happy events will not only ruin the party but may also actually cause physical harm to people at the venue.
Here are a few safety tips when handling helium balloons:
- Helium should always be stored in an indoor, well-ventilated, secure area.
- Helium cylinder can burst if exposed to wet areas, leading to rusting and weakening of the metal.
- Helium is an asphyxiant gas and may cause suffocation by displacing the oxygen in the air. Lack of sufficient oxygen can cause serious injury or death.
- To avoid accidents, the cylinder must always be opened with the adapted nozzle and must be kept securely sealed when not in use.
- During the transport of helium gas cylinders in vans or cars, ensure that they are always sealed and secure with good ventilation around the cylinders.
- Over-exposure to helium may cause dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, and death. This is why it’s recommended to work with helium balloons in a well-ventilated area.
- The characteristic of helium is to expand at high temperatures. Therefore, ensure that helium balloons should be filled up and used at the same temperature as that of the venue.
- Always be around little children while they play with helium balloons to make sure that they do not inhale the gas. Accidental inhalation of helium can sometimes eliminate the body’s oxygen resulting in loss of consciousness and possible death.
- Discard any popped balloons or broken pieces to prevent kids from chewing and choking on them.
- For helium balloons ceiling decorations, first, allow the balloons to remain tied to a pole for at least five to six hours before releasing it. The balloons need to shrink enough for the skin to turn thicker and tighter so that it does not pop.
The benefits of using helium balloons are that comparatively, they are affordable to foil balloons and look amazing while floating in the air. The best balloon decorations can be done through helium balloons, but you need to be vigilant while handing them around to your children.
If you are looking for professional helium balloon decorators, who will ensure caution with latex helium balloons and take all safety measures around them during decoration, get in touch with bookmyballoons. You can also call 8088880011 or 8088880022 for their latest products and services. Visit us!