Understanding Density of Gases for Floating Balloons
- Technically any gas that’s less dense than air will make a balloon float. In comparison, Hydrogen is half the density of helium and can be better at making a balloon float. Hydrogen gas generates good buoyancy but is not one of the popular nonhelium balloon decoration ideas, since it is explosive.
- One of the floating balloons without helium ceiling decoration ideas, is using air. Air can also make balloons float and stick to the ceiling by using the concept of electrostatic charge. When the air particles inside and outside the balloon have similar charges, they repel each other and can easily get attracted to a surface, like a ceiling, that has no charge.
- Another balloon decorating idea without helium, is using hot air to float the balloons since it is lighter than cool air. It is probably the cheapest way to make a balloon float even though it may be short-lived.
Creating Hydrogen Gas for Floating Balloons
To create Hydrogen, you need to bring sodium hydroxide and aluminum in contact with each other. Here are the steps to create it at home:
- Sodium hydroxide, also commonly known as Caustic soda, is generally available at home and in grocery stores as well.
- Aluminum is readily available in the form of kitchen foils.
- Take a big bottle and fill it with the mixture of Sodium hydroxide and pieces of aluminum foil.
- Add water inside the bottle.
- Next step is to attach a balloon to the mouth of the bottle containing the mixture.
- The mixture inside the container will automatically generate hydrogen gas that will rise and fill the balloons.
- Once the gas completely inflates the balloon, take off the balloon and tie it with a thread.
- Now you can see the balloon will float without helium.
- Hydrogen gas is flammable, so it is vital to ensure keeping all inflammable objects away.
- Matchbox, open flames, hot iron, and other hot objects should not come in contact with these balloons.
- Sodium hydroxide may harm your skin, so it is advised to keep it away from children.
Get in touch with www.bookmyballoons.in or visit us for event-related services. We will be happy to help you with our expertise in implementing helium-free balloon decorations in Bangalore with perfection and on time.